Microsoft Dynamics Convergence Houston 2012 - Getting there







Being honest, there's nothing much that captivates me about flying from Atlanta (ATL) to Houston (IAH). I am usually not one to pack my luggage days in advance, but rather got up this morning around 5:30 AM and began selecting a few pieces to wear throughout the week. That took about 40 minutes, so if you see me with mismatch sockies please feel free to shout.

Finally, I put my son on the school bus, then drove my daughter to school. Once back at home, I cleaned up a bit and off to the airport I went. I met up with fellow coworker and business partner at IntellPartners, Ted Mauldin, with who I would be traveling.

The flight to Houston was uneventful, with just a few rough patches throughout. Approaching Houston, you could see some of the gloominess predicted in the weather forecast.

Houston's Downtown - a gloomy day on the approach
Upon arrival at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), Ted and I stopped at the McDonald's post to pick up a couple Big Macs. On our way to the baggage claim area, I couldn't help but to admire - as in laugh - at the astronaut cow sculpture. Texas, overall, is cattle country and you can find a reference to the bovines just about anywhere here.

"Houston we have landed"
Ted and I grabbed a cab out of the airport and off to our hotels we went - he's staying at the Sheraton just a few miles down the road. After check in at the Hilton Americas Houston, where most Microsoft Dynamics Convergence attendees and Microsoft folks will be lodging, I went up to my room to take it easy for a bit - well, not really! After a few client calls, a number of emails, and some more calls, I decided it was time to go take a walk around the surroundings.

First stop was the George R. Brown Convention Center where the GPUG DayONE and Microsoft Dynamics Convergence 2012 events will be hosted. The Convention Center is close to 2 million sq. ft., making it one of the 10 largest in the United States (in contrast, Atlanta's Georgia World Congress Center is roughly 3.9 million sq. ft., putting it in the top 4 in the US). Regardless of size, this place will be buzzing with close to ten thousand Convergence attendees come Sunday.

George R. Brown Convention Center
Sort of in between the Hilton Americas and the Convention Center sits the Discovery Green park. The park hosts a number of visitors in search of fun activities, and features a number of amenities and eateries to please just about anyone. From across the park you can really catch a glance of the business district skyline.

Business district skyline, as seen from across the Discovery Park
It was time to go back to the hotel to rest my old bones - and to answer a few more emails and continue with a few more calls - before dinner. But first, a shot of the hotel since my room does not offer much of a view.


Hilton Americas
Ted and I met up at the bar in the hotel for drinks, before heading out to dinner. Little did we know we would come across the luminaries of Microsoft Dynamics Convergence: Microsoft Dynamics GP Product Management execs, the GPUG team, the eOne Business Solutions team, and the list goes on and on... so is best if I leave you some pictures:

Mariano Gomez, Errol Schoenfish, and Pam Misialek

The Dynamics Community Team

The eOne Business Solutions team

Tomorrow, the day will start with breakfast with my good fried David Musgrave and his wife, Jennifer. David is out and about attending a rodeo event. Can't wait to see his blog about this tomorrow. The evening will end with a nice dinner with the Microsoft Dynamics Community team. Check in tomorrow for details on the happenings.

Until next post!

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
IntellPartners, LLC
http://www.IntellPartners.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Power Apps - Application Monitoring with Azure Application Insights

DBMS: 12 Microsoft Dynamics GP: 0 error when updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 R2

eConnect Integration Service for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010