GPUG Summit 2012 Seattle: Getting here

As I write this first segment of the article, my flight is cruising at 37,000 ft. just about North-North East of Kansas City, Missouri.

The GPUG Summit 2012 Seattle is not officially kicking off until tomorrow. However, GPUG organizers have decided that presenters should meet at 5:00 PM PST to get some final pointers and make sure that we are ready for the show.

My morning started very chaotically, getting up early and packing my suitcase to rush into the all too well documented Atlanta traffic to get to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Highway 400 is usually not the place to be at 7:30 AM and it proved me right this morning. I had to deviate through the much slower Highway 9 (Alpharetta Highway) which took me out to the Perimeter (I-285) and back onto Highway 400 and through the Down Town and to the airport.

Upon arrival at the airport and within 30 minutes of boarding, I ran into my second stumble: the South Terminal parking lot was full, with signs indicating to go to the North Terminal's parking lot. Driving to the North Terminal, I had to exit the airport and loop back to access the blue parking lot. Finally, after getting a space, I was off to getting a boarding pass and to the gate.

The flight left at 10:00 AM on the dot and was uneventful for most of the trip up from Atlanta. However, the Pacific Northwest is well known for the strong jet stream and trough coming from the Pacific Ocean. This made for a bumpy ride into Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, SEA-TAC.

Cloud mass ahead, before bumpy ride started

The last part of the descent into SEA-TAC was graced by an exquisite pass over Lake Washington, crossing over I-90 (Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge), an entry point over Boing Field, to finally land at the International airport.

Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge
I have never been to Seattle and frankly, have never landed at SEA-TAC, but suffice to say, it's a very nice airport with an impressive infrastructure. The airport is the primary hub for Alaska Airlines, (a Delta Airlines "codeshare" partner) whose headquarters is located near the airport, and its regional subsidiary Horizon Air. The airport has service to destinations throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and East Asia.

SEA-TAC gate A4
Since I did not check any luggage in, I quickly exit Terminal A to the main terminal and grabbed a cab to Downtown, where I would be staying for the duration of the GPUG Summit. The taxi went up I-5 and passed through Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners - a Major League Baseball team.

Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners
Closer to the Downtown, the imposing skyline comes to view. The Columbia Center (tall black glass building) is home to Bank of America corporate offices in Seattle.

Skyline captured from taxi in motion
After check in at the Grand Hyatt Seattle hotel, one of my favorite things to do is to capture a picture of the view from my room. This one did not disappoint, since I am on the 23rd floor facing Bainbridge Island (background).

View from my room at Grand Hyatt

Well, I am sure they are more details that I forgot in the process, but then again, I have been traveling for more than 7 hours. Now, stay tune for my next installment, which will go through the rest of my afternoon.

Until next post!

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
IntellPartners, LLC
http://www.IntellPartners.com/

Comments

Beat BUCHER said…
Thank You Mariano,
that view from your room only was worth the trip :-)
keep on with such nice posts on the GPUG summit.

Popular posts from this blog

Power Apps - Application Monitoring with Azure Application Insights

DBMS: 12 Microsoft Dynamics GP: 0 error when updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 R2

eConnect Integration Service for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010